Sunday, September 11, 2016

Succinct Summation of Week’s Events 9.9.16 (plus The History of Index Funds)

It may come as no surprise that I am still without a computer but the good news is that my tech informed me on Thursday that my new super-desktop should be ready on Tuesday.  It may take another week or so to get it set up but next weekend should be the last of these unsolicited distributions.  Meanwhile, September 21st remains my big day, the day I am informed whether I have passed the introductory course for the CFP and therefore qualify for the internship which is a prerequisite for entering the formal academic program next February.  I expect to qualify and even have high hopes to get a very rewarding internship but, if things do not go my way, I may have to be reevaluating my career plans after next Wednesday.


My new desktop will be optimized for video editing and I have ordered new software which should make it a snap to quickly produce training videos on investment topics which I will then post to this blog and to YouTube.  Meanwhile, my commitment to deliver a summary of the week's events is fulfilled below as well as a listing of my daily recaps.  The bonus this Sunday is a dividend paid to me by the CFP, an article taken from Investment News, a daily e-newsletter that is required reading in the program.  This article details the fascinating history of how John Bogle invented the index fund, a little known strategy introduced as long ago as 1960 and that no one thought would ever take off.

Tim Hudson has invited me to make a brief presentation at our monthly MRI meeting on Monday night so I will see you all then.  Hope everyone had a great weekend.

The secret history of index mutual funds

Succinct Summation of Week’s Events 9.9.16


Succinct Summations for the week ending September 9th 2016

Positives:
1. Durable goods rose 4.4% in July, up from a -4% reading previously.
2. Job openings came in at cycle highs of 5.871M, up from 5.624M previously.
3. JOLTS to Job Seeker ratio falls to 1.3, lowest since 2001
4. Jobless claims fell to 259k, down from 263k previously.
5. Redbook same store sales were up 0.8% y/o/y, the largest gain since early July.

Negatives:
1. U.S. stocks fell 1% for the first time since Brexit and had the worst week since early February.
2. ISM non-manufacturing fell to 51.4, down from 55 previously and below the 55 expected.
3. Gallup U.S. consumer spending fell to $91/day, down from $100 previously (which was the highest reading since 2008)
4. PMI services index fell to 51, slightly down from the previous reading of 51.4.

No comments:

Post a Comment